Business Process Re-engineering
Business exists in an ever-changing environment. Business processes, like technology, become obsolete and inefficient if they do not evolve along with the environment in which they exist. Obsolete business processes can result in:
- Cumbersome manual paper based processes
- Islands of unconnected information
- Little, if any, metrics to monitor performance
- Serial processing and redundant re-keying of the same data
- Limited use of technology
The Solution: A Smart Approach to Business Process Renewal
Smart PlanIT‘s Business Process Renewal Services (BPR) provide a proven and practical approach to assessing current state processes, defining areas for improvement, detailing process change requirements and implementing desired improvements. Our approach combines detailed current state analysis with innovative renewal techniques and the introduction of technology and industry best practices to identify a desired target state for your processes. We look at more than just the process itself. We evaluate process enablers, such as:
- People – roles, responsibilities and organizational structure
- Technology – systems and infrastructure supporting the process
- Policies and Procedures – documentation and business rules governing the process
In addition, our techniques drive out key business indicators and metrics that can be compared to industry norms to evaluate the health of a process and assist in identifying areas for improvement.
Our approach however, is only half the solution. Smart PlanIT‘s Process Analysts have utilized our methods within many organizations to derive tangible business benefits. Our consultants can lead BPR initiatives and/or act as mentors to organizations wishing to develop internal BPR skills. We have the experience and the approach to make BPR a success in your organization.
Successful organizations are those that can adapt to change and find innovative ways to get work done. Business Process Renewal (BPR) provides a means to address business pain or proactively prepare for anticipated changes or market opportunities. Benefits from BPR are:
- Reduced process cycle times
- Improved customer service and satisfaction
- Improved employee satisfaction
- Improved utilization of technology investments
- Reduced time-to-market for products and services
- Processes aligned with business objectives
- Improved internal and external communication
Here are examples of how we have helped clients with Business Process Re-engineering.
We bring experience in mentorship of organizations in the use of BPR to improve the efficiency of their current processes. We facilitated BPR sessions with Business/Systems Analysts, Business Primes, and key stakeholders to demonstrate our approach to BPR and assist the client in planning the remainder of their Process Renewal initiatives.
- High level “current state” process model for the target process.
- Identification of issues and opportunities for each major process step. This was used to identify the process areas that needed attention or could provide the greatest potential benefits to the organization.
- Decomposition of the high level “current state” process model in areas that provided the best opportunity for the organization based on the issue/opportunity identification
- Route cause analysis of issues.
- High level “future state” process models that encompassed potential improvements. These high level models would provide the basis for future modeling sessions.
- Next steps – To enable the client to complete the process renewal for the remainder of the target process.
The result was a client that was successfully mentored in BPR methodology and in techniques used to analyze and renew existing business processes. They were now equipped with the knowledge they required to move forward with their BPR plans, and the tools they needed to attain their future state visions.
Our consultants led a large agricultural company through a BPR initiative designed to improve the processes for granting credit facilities for financing livestock finishing. Concurrently the team drove out requirements for the update of a Credit Management System.
Our consultants facilitated BPR sessions with subject matter experts and key stakeholders, documented the Current State and designed a future state that would streamline the granting of credit.
As part of this engagement, we completed:
- A current state model
- A “desired future state” model
- A “targeted future state” model based on economic realities
- A requirements definition document which allowed their custom software developer to provide a detailed price and estimate for the enhancements to their Credit Management System
The result was that the financing institution that provided the credit facility was confident in the processes that would adjudicate an application for credit, the client was able to re-design some processes to accommodate the new adjudication process and the developer received a detailed requirements document used to determine costs and schedules for an update of their Credit Management System.